Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My First Detox and Why I Continue

Thanks for your questions, John, and I hope you are doing well on your detox. I've done a few cleanses and detoxes since I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1997. Looking back, I always see it as a gift because it really changed my life for the good and introduced me to the world of alternative medicine and a much healthier lifestyle. I refused to have chemotherapy and instead focused on building my immune system. So the first thing I did was see a local naturopathic doctor and did a cleanse diet for three weeks. It was similar to Dr. Roni's detox plan in some ways but incorporated eating vegetables, taking liver tinctures, psyllium husks for fiber, and using a whey protein powder twice a day. It was a good cleanse and I lost 13 pounds as well. There were no recommended colonics or treatments. I felt stronger and looked better. I also liked the sense of accomplishment, shifting focus to myself instead of others, and practicing more discipline in my life.

I probably repeated that cleanse twice, usually in the Spring, when the right vegetables were readily available. When I moved to Martha's Vineyard, I met Dr. Roni. Breast cancer had thrown me into menopause at age 40 and I'm sure my hormone levels were lower, as was my metabolism. I was slowly gaining weight and, wanting to feel better and lose weight quickly, I tried Dr. Roni's detox diet. There were a lot of things I liked better about this diet. It's easier and faster for one. Juicing is immediate. No cooking and waiting when you are hungry or weak and need something. And you're always taking something every few hours (or should!) and that keeps you going. And losing about twice as much weight in the same amount of time is great.

Now, whenever I see myself slipping into old eating habits, not exercising and putting on pounds, I reel myself in with this detox, and I'm back on track.

What I have learned and incorporated this time is how to do the detox in a more gentle and relaxed fashion, so that when the program ends, it's not so drastic on your system and you don't go back to eating the wrong foods for the wrong reasons.

So, back to the present, I'm on Day 4 and I'm down 5 pounds. Yesterday's coffee enema gave my liver the boost it needed because last evening's urine test showed that I am burning fat (not just losing water weight) and my ph is at 6.0.

Any other detoxers out there? Tell me how it's going and ... join in on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment